It is possible to look at enterprises from three angles – one, of poverty alleviation, two, of local economic development, and three, of enhancing productivity. The perspective that is brought into the plan will influence the focus of the interventions proposed. For instance, a focus on technical aspects of production alone may not address commercial aspects of marketability of produce, and a business angle may overlook the poverty dimensions that can make seemingly viable enterprise opportunities non starters. The challenge in an integrated approach would be to bring in all three perspectives in adequate measure.This is where the Samagra approach adopted by Kudumbashree becomes relevant. This approach is product or occupation specific, in that it looks to bring in all backward and forward linkages related to technical components, business planning and support together on one platform as an integrated project. Intense facilitation by supporting agencies is required, and the leadership on the local self governments in holding the project together and in coordinating the various departmental and other stake holders is crucial for the success of the project. The space of Kudumbashree network is as beneficiary, participant and manager – the space of the poverty eradication mission is as facilitator. Samagra is precisely the kind of project where the detailed planning framework of the five year plan becomes relevant. It is concerned with the participation not only of the grama panchayat, but also of the higher tiers of the block and district, whose involvement and contribution are of immense significance to the scope and success of the project.
The activities delineated in the Samagra projects vary according to the nature of the project. In general the activities envisaged in Samagra are detailed below:
1. Scale up of enterprise activities, increased number of units in economically feasible activity, subject to carrying
2. Convergence of different activities – While preparing projects on agricultural crops, animal husbandry, fish farming etc. there
3. Convergence of different projects/ programmes – Samagra brings together different projects and programmes implemented
4. Convergence of different departments – Under the present set up different departments are carrying out poverty reduction,
5. Effective utilization of other stakeholders in production and marketing. There are areas where the knowledge and skills within
6. Ensuring product diversification and quality enhancement in the production process.
7. Employing modern technologies in marketing – Modern technologies available in research institutions for product