"Slum Free India" with inclusive and equitable cities in which every citizen has access to basic civic infrastructure and social amenities and decent shelter.
Encourage States/Union Territories (UTs) to tackle slums in a definitive manner, by focusing on:
- Bringing all existing slums, notified or non-notified (including recognised and identified) within the formal system and enabling them to avail the basic amenities that is available for the rest of the city/UA
- Redressing the failures of the formal system that lie behind the creation of slums by planning for affordable housing stock for the urban poor and initiating crucial policy changes required for facilitating the same.
- Improving and provisioning of housing, basic civic infrastructure and social amenities in intervened slums.
- Enabling reforms to address some of the causes leading to creation of slums.
- Facilitating a supportive environment for expanding institutional credit linkages for the urban poor.
- Institutionalizing mechanisms for prevention of slums including creation of affordable housing stock.
- Strengthening institutional and human resource capacities at the Municipal, City and State levels through comprehensive capacity building and strengthening of resource networks.
- Empowering community by ensuring their participation at every stage of decision making through strengthening and nurturing Slum Dwellers' Association/Federations.
Implementation Strategy: 2 step Implementation Strategy
- Preparation of Slum Free City Plan of Action (SFCPoA) on 'whole city' basis
- Detailed Project Report (DPRs) for slum redevelopment/up gradation/relocation on 'whole slum' basis.
Preparation of SFCPoA
Activities for preparation of SFCPoAs include:
- Slum Survey
- Data Entry into MIS
- GIS Mapping of Slums
- GIS-MIS integration
SFCPoAs in two parts
- Curative Strategy for Slum Redevelopment of all existing slums, notified, recognised or non, notified, on lands belonging to State/Central Government, Urban Local Bodies, Public Undertakings of State/Central Government any other public agency and private land;
- Preventive Strategy for Containment of growth of future Slums.
Preparation of DPRs
On the basis of prioritization of slums in SFCPoA, cities would be required to prepare Detailed Project Reports (DPRs)
- Provisioning of Housing and basic civic infrastructure and amenities in Slum development/improvement/up gradation
- Transit Housing for in situ redevelopment
- Rental Housing and Dormitories
- Social infrastructure including Community halls, Child care centers, Informal markets, Common workplaces/livelihoods centre